Friday, May 6, 2016

Dakota's Lullaby

I don't consider myself a super creative person, normally most of what one might perceive as creativity tends to be traced back to something I saw on Pinterest. However motherhood brings out the best of me as well as the worst but lets stay focused on the positive here.

I have recently discovered I have song writing skills, well sort of. I made up a lullaby for my 5 month old this week. (She is 1 year now and I'm just getting around to finishing this post.)

Now before I go on let me give you my oh so unimpressive qualifications for song writing. I can read music. I played the flute in marching band my freshmen year of high school and I have plucked out a song or two on my family's piano with my music reading skills. I sing the hymns at church but have a hard time staying in key, at least I can tell when I'm off which happens a lot. Also I have the hardest time remembering lyrics to songs. I sing hymns at church on a weekly basis and listen to a lot of Disney songs over and over again but the list of songs I can sing without the lyrics in front of me is surprisingly few.
I often think I should really learn more songs so I can sing for and with my kids more. However this goal has yet to get promoted from the someday list. 

So there I was, singing the same old song that I don't even like all that much. I thought anything would be better then that song so I just started singing her name to no specific melody and then before I knew it I had made up a lullaby, how clever of me. It was easier then I thought and a lot of fun. Why hadn't I thought of this sooner. Of course it is a wonderful discovery and I'm so excited about its success I'm starting this post at 2 am.

... 5 months later. 

That lullaby I made up in the middle of the night months ago has become a part of our family and more successful then I would have imagined when I first sat down and wrote this post. From time to time if you hear the baby crying you just might also hear her older sister singing Dakota's Lullaby.

Now I hope I have you all curious about this song and I do want to share it with you, but I want to do it with style. So I'm currently looking into making a fun you tube video with it, or more more accurately I've asked my cousin to make one. Hes amazing! You can check out his YouTube Channel here. Hopefully someday you'll be able to listen to Dakota's Lullaby on his channel.








No comments:

Post a Comment