Saturday, January 17, 2015

Announcing Pregnancies

Pregnancy announcements have been on my mind a lot lately. Several of my friends are pregnant and yes my husband and I are excepting number 2. So no wonder I have a lot of thoughts on the subject right now.

To be socially acceptable one waits until the end of the 1st trimester to announce a pregnancy to friends and family while having told maybe a few close people before that. One main reason that people wait to announce is because miscarriages are most likely in that 1st trimester. I waited to announce my 1st pregnancy because someone close to me had a miscarriage days after I found out I was excepting and I was terrified that it might happen to me. I was very surprised when I saw an announcements on Facebook much earlier then I would have ever thought to make mine public. Since then I have thought about this a lot and now it is all fresh in my mind again. So I thought I'd write down my thoughts.

Two well known people have recently made early pregnancy announcements, Princess Kate and the recently married daughter form the TLC show, 19 Kids and Counting. I heard Princess Kate's reason was that the morning sickness would have lent to so many rumors that they just decided to beat the rumor mill. The latter made a point I hadn't thought about. Taking a pro life/anti abortion stance saying that by announcing pregnancy early you are acknowledging that a fetus is a baby sooner. Theses are both great reasons.

I mentioned that with my 1st pregnancy I waited because I was terrified of miscarriage. Thinking back it doesn't seem like a good reason anymore. I have not experienced miscarriage first hand but have seen it happen to friends. I can only imagine how hard it must be and I think that it would help to have the support of family and friends to help me threw if ever it does happen to me. Bringing life into the world is very happy news so why not share the news early on and if things go wrong then at least you got to share the good news and now hopefully you have help and support through the hard times ahead.

My husband and I were very excited to find out we have another one on the way, so why did we wait to announce this second pregnancy till the end of the 1st trimester. Its simple and maybe a little silly and has nothing to do with worrying about miscarriage this time. To anyone who has been pregnant or lived with a pregnant women it should come as no surprise that I don't like being pregnant. Its hard, a baby is slowly taking over your body. No matter how "easy" a pregnancy is most of the time it is just plain not fun. With that said being pregnant has amazing moments, its a blessing and a gift that I couldn't begin to express in words so I wont. The point being that I spent that first three months throwing up and being sick with little to show for it (yes anyone who saw me on a regular bases would have figured it out but I'm no princess Kate and as stay at home mom who moved across town right as it all started it just wasn't really an issue). What helped me threw it all was looking forward to a cute Pinterest worthy announcement. By waiting we got to do it in October with Halloween. It was so worth it for me. Pregnancy is worth it! But when your just a few weeks in, 9 months seems like forever, finding things to look forward to, that are not so far away helps to keep a good attitude. Plus by waiting to tell people you avoid some of the questions and advice that can get really old after awhile.
...that's right Our Little Princess is going to be a Big Sister!

When or how you announce your pregnant is up to you. I just hope however you do so you are able to enjoy it. Whether it's number one or number seven its always important to take advantage of all the good parts of being pregnant, hopefully telling people is one of them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment